Friday, December 16, 2011

Our Freedom

Today our President signed a bill called the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). This act authorizes indefinite detentions of American terrorism suspects around the world. Due process destroyed coincidentally on the 220th anniversary of the ratification of the Bill of Rights.

More info:



I called The White House today urging the president not to sign, and Pem wrote the letter that I have shared with you below. I would like to urge you all to take this information to heart. This slow removal of our rights has been going on behind the scenes for the past 10 years. We need to stop allowing trivial matters distract us. This was described in the Thrive movie I shared last week, if you haven't watched- Please do.


Dear Mr. President,

I am a lifelong American citizen and resident. I was born in Philadelphia, the birthplace of our Nation. Many of my ancestors were involved in the formation of the United States, including Major Isaac Roach, who served as Mayor of Philadelphia after the war of 1812, and Joseph Pemberton, whose house still stands directly next door to Independence Hall. In addition, I grew up in Birmingham Township, Pennsylvania, literally on the site of Battle of the Brandywine, one of the most important battles of the the American Revolution. There are musket balls from that battle (which occurred, ironically, on September 11th, 1777) still lodged in the outside wall of my childhood home. As you can imagine, I have an unusually personal connection to the health of our country and the enduring ideals of the Founding Fathers.

I strongly urge you NOT to sign the National Defense Authorization Act of 2012 into law. It is one of the most egregious attacks on our Civil Liberties that has ever been created by Congress. Additionally, I strongly urge you to reject ANY bill that includes any form of indefinite detention, whether the accused be American Citizens or not. Mr. President, I voted for you with the faith that you would uphold and defend my basic rights, as guaranteed to me at birth by our Bill of Rights. By signing into law a bill which legalizes indefinite detention, you are personally denying me, yourself, and all Americans these rights.

Sincerely,
Pemberton Roach

--
Pemberton Roach
Bassist, Vocalist, Songwriter, Producer

No comments:

Post a Comment